BTS, also known as the Bangtan Boys, is a K-pop group that debuted under Big Hit Entertainment in 2013. However, their journey to success began long before their official debut.
BTS was formed in 2010 by the CEO of Big Hit Entertainment, Bang Si-hyuk. He had a vision of creating a hip-hop group that would be different from the typical K-pop groups at the time. The lineup consisted of seven members.
- RM (Kim Namjoon)
- Before joining BTS, RM was an underground rapper and was active in the Korean hip-hop scene. He was also a student and had a passion for writing and poetry.
- Jin (Kim Seokjin)
- Jin was a student at Konkuk University and was majoring in acting. He was also scouted by several entertainment agencies before joining BTS.
- Suga (Min Yoongi)
- Suga was also an underground rapper before joining BTS. He was known as “Agust D” and released his own music before debuting with BTS.
- J-Hope (Jung Hoseok)
- J-Hope was a street dancer before joining BTS. He also participated in dance competitions and was a part of a dance crew called “Neuron” before joining Big Hit Entertainment.
- Jimin (Park Jimin)
- Jimin was a student at the Busan High School of Arts, where he studied contemporary dance. He was scouted by Big Hit Entertainment during a dance competition and joined BTS as a trainee.
- V (Kim Taehyung)
- V was a student at the Korean Arts High School, where he studied acting. He was also scouted by Big Hit Entertainment and joined BTS as a trainee.
- Jungkook (Jeon Jungkook)
- Jungkook was a student at the School of Performing Arts Seoul, where he studied dance. He was scouted by Big Hit Entertainment and became the youngest member of BTS.
Before their debut, BTS faced a number of challenges and struggles. In the early days, they were considered underdogs in the K-pop industry and had to work hard to prove themselves. They practiced for long hours and often performed in small venues with no pay.
During their trainee period, the members of BTS underwent rigorous training in singing, dancing, and rapping. They also spent a lot of time honing their skills in songwriting and producing, which has become a signature of their music.
BTS began to gain some recognition through their appearances on various television shows and music programs. They also released a series of pre-debut tracks, including “We Are Bulletproof Pt.1 (We Are B.P.B.)” which showcased their unique sound and style.
Finally, on June 13, 2013, BTS made their official debut with the single “No More Dream” from their debut album “2 Cool 4 Skool”. The album featured a mix of hip-hop, pop, and R&B sounds, and the group’s powerful performances and dynamic choreography quickly gained attention.